Activating IP Failover for an Existing VDC
ProfitBricks supports the configuration of IP failover solutions for public IP addresses, e. g. for active passive cluster firewalls or load balancers based on VRRP. In order to ensure your existing high availability setups run smoothly, we recommend you set up an IP failover group for them in the ProfitBricks Data Center Designer (DCD).
The following virtual data center (VDC) is used as an example:
Node1 and Node2 are firewall appliances on which a high availability setup is activated using the following IP addresses:
Node IP: 188.8.131.52
VIP-1: 184.108.40.206, assigned as an additional IP
VIP-2: 220.127.116.11, assigned as an additional IP
Node IP: 18.104.22.168
Activating an IP Failover Group in DCD
- Select the LAN on which to activate the IP failover group.
- In our example, this would be LAN 2 (red).
- Go to Inspector > IP Failover to configure the IP failover in DCD.
- Click on Create Failover Group.
- From the IP drop-down menu, select the virtual IP address for which you create a failover.
- Select all NICs that may use this IP address.
- Define the master node of your failover setup by activating the master radio button of the corresponding NIC. If all is set, click on Create Failover Group.
- Deselect the NICs for which you do not want the IP address of the IP failover group to be set as primary IP address.
- If your HA setup uses more than one VIP, repeat this step for each of them.
- In our example, we also have to do this for the second VIP, 22.214.171.124.
- IP failover groups created this way are listed in the Inspector and can be modified, if necessary.
- The configuration of the IP failover groups required for the sample VDC looks as follows:
- Once you’ve finished creating all IP failover groups as required, provision your changes.
Your IP HA setup is now configured.